Monday, July 29, 2013

"I Want to Go to There"

I don't know if our family is different from the average, but we incessantly quote memorable lines from television or movies when the circumstances call for them.

For example, when someone shushes anyone in public, the correct response is: "A hotdog is singing. You want me to be quiet when a hotdog is singing?" (Greg Kinnear as Frank in You've Got Mail.)

If you have to sign an important document and you feel hesitant, someone always quips: "A man in a really nice camper is offering to put our song on the radio. I'm signin', you're signin', we're all signin'!" (Steve Zahn as Lenny on That Thing You Do)

When a reversal of a positive situation occurs ("Good feeling gone"--Marlin on Finding Nemo) or a relationship sours ("Camp over now"--Julius on Remember the Titans), the perfect retort has likely already been spoken onscreen.

While many of our family's favorite lines originated on the silver screen, television seems to offer fewer quotable lines but some programs are more reliable--30Rock and Gilmore Girls being two of our favorite repositories: (e.g. Kenneth on the couch with Jack as his analyst: "I ate my father pig!" or Lorelai: "I've always wanted to hold a huge quadraped over my head" while watching the movie Pippi Longstocking).

Which medium offers up the best one-liners, in your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment