Friday, July 26, 2013

Getting Red(boxed) in the Face!

By now, certainly you have discovered along with me that rental DVDs are a species unto themselves. Instead of coming with all the delicious DVD extras that we nerds (ahem! "cinephiles") appreciate most, they arrive to us in those characteristic red plastic cases sans bonus content.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART OF MANY MOVIES!

Consumerist reports on the practice in a blog dated December 9, 2010, by Chris Morran:

"In an apparent effort to give customers a reason to buy DVDs instead of renting them, movie studios have begun disabling certain features of new releases on discs rented out by Blockbuster and Netflix."

The collusion by movie studios to ban DVD extras in order to force us to buy the boxed sets is a shame. Granted, as a consumer I get more "bang for my buck" :-) when I purchase a DVD with the extras included.

What this means, I am sure, is fewer people will be exposed to the rich content on DVDs since it is far easier to simply grab the movie at Kroger or watch it streaming on Netflix.

I just have one question after reading the three-year-old blog quote above: What is Blockbuster?

No comments:

Post a Comment