Tuesday, July 23, 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like...

I am a sucker for holiday movies. It's A Wonderful Life has always been one of my all-time favorites of any genre. I have been known to pop the DVD in during the summer if I need to be reminded that there may still be good left in humanity.

Next to it, my family watches White Christmas multiple times between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I even like rarer holiday films like Christmas in Connecticut (Godfrey, 1945) with Barbara Stanwyck.

I don't even mind when a syndicated TV show plays a Christmas-related episode in the middle of summer replete with oppressive Tennessee heat and humidity.

That's why I am baffled at my dislike for the nods to Christmas in Iron Man 3. As I sat in the theater, I kept feeling like the Christmas trees, the lights, and the giant stuffed bunny Tony gives Pepper were equivalent to too many product placements (i.e. obvious, bordering on patronizing).

I kept thinking while watching it that the film was trying to resonate with holiday moviegoers, even though the premiere was held on April 24. Was this a case when the studio's schedule and budget ran away from the producers?

So, imagine my surprise to stumble on Forrest Wickman's blog entry on Salon.com entitled "The Dickensian Aspect of Iron Man 3."  Here is the opening paragraph if you're interested:

Of all the odd things about this year’s first big summer blockbuster, Iron Man 3, perhaps the oddest is that it takes place during Christmas. Though it’s being released in May, it’s filled with Christmas lights, Christmas gifts, snow storms (including one in Tennessee), and grenades improvised from Christmas ornaments.

The article is really fascinating, especially the use of the phrase "sci-fi Capra." Suddenly suitless Tony wandering around like a pseudo-George Bailey begs another glance.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/05/03/how_iron_man_3_draws_from_charles_dickens_a_christmas_carol.html

No comments:

Post a Comment