Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Trekmas in July: Cons and Paratexts

Okay, so there is only fifteen minutes left until August as I post this . . . pardon my indulgence of this post.

So today I outed myself as a Trekker/ Trekkie/ Trekster (call me whatever) in class.  I had to share just a bit more of my passion for Star Trek.  During the break and hallway conversation, we talked a bit about cons.  I've been to the Nashville Star Trek con for the past two years with my husband to celebrate our anniversary each summer.  Last year was great with George Takei and Nichelle Nichols.

Lavar Burton was also in attendance, and he led the audience in a sing-along to the Reading Rainbow theme.  I got to speak with him about the new Reading Rainbow app when I got his autograph.  Both my husband and I found it weird and a bit unsettling that one of the head shot glossies that were being offered for sale for his signature was one of Burton in chains in the role of Kunta Kinte from Roots.  Did they realize that they were in the South?

While many folks celebrate Festivus in December, my husband and I celebrate Trekmas each year. We gather with our Trek friends to sing Klingon carols around the Trekmas tree, play Star Trek Settlers of Catan, and drink homemade blood wine with cake.  


No comments:

Post a Comment