Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What Does My DVD Library Say About Me?

Josh's presentation this evening, wherein he showed his Netflix account and what he claims is his son's interest in Mr. Bean :-), got me thinking....

If I were to examine the DVDs in our collection, how well do they represent me? What compels me to purchase a movie and rewatch it? What circles of fandom have I inadvertently joined by liking certain films enough to own them and view them again and again?

In our family, we call certain flicks "comfort movies," the cinematic equivalent of comfort foods like macaroni & cheese, that we are drawn to when we are sick or feeling blue.

To that end, here is a partial list of some of our favorites. Judge away!

Napoleon Dynamite
Walk the Line
School of Rock
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Little Women
Pride & Prejudice
Dan in Real Life
The Devil Wears Prada
Sweet Home Alabama
You've Got Mail
Mean Girls
Juno
Music and Lyrics
Twister
Two Weeks' Notice
27 Dresses
Saving Private Ryan
A Beautiful Mind
Date Night
It's A Wonderful Life
White Christmas

Clearly I live with women who like a good rom com. These are just a few of our DVDs, since even in this silly exercise I am self-censoring to keep from mentioning some of the more embarrassing picks (both Happy Feet movies, National Treasure, and various Madea movies). If anyone is good at psychoanalysis from reviewing one's movie choices, I'm all ears. (Except you, Tom! LOL.)

No comments:

Post a Comment