Tuesday, February 1, 2011

As Heard on TV

I don't proclaim to be extremely knowledgeable about the world of music. Judge me if you will, but a large part of the music I listen to is whatever pop music is currently popular. However, one way that I discover music is through television shows. When a song on a television show catches my ear, I can, thanks to the internet, usually Google the episode to find the song. Many of my favorite songs, I have heard through television shows. So, I thought that I'd share some of my favorites.

"Speeding Cars" by Imogen Heap from the O.C.
 This is actually the song that inspired this list. As I wrote in a recent post, I just finished season three of the O.C. I often take a while to really love a song, but this one was love at first hearing. I already was a fan of Imogen Heap, but I'd never heard this song before hearing it on the O.C. To give you an idea of how much I love this song, I'll disclose the amount of times I've played it in iTunes since buying it last Friday: 29. That doesn't even include the number of times I've played it on my iPod.


"I'm In Here (Piano/Vocal Version)" by Sia from Nikita
Like with Imogen Heap, I was already a fan of Sia before hearing this song. However, I fell in love with this particular song after hearing it on Nikita. At first, I thought the song featured in the show was the original version of the song. I listened to it many, many times. Then, after further "research" (yes, I just used sarcastic quotation marks), I found out that the version featured in the show was the Piano/Vocal version. So, I listened to that many, many times too.

"Marry You" by Bruno Mars from Glee
While Glee's song selections are sometimes incredibly off, they are also often very spot-on. While I'd already heard "Just the Way You Are" on the radio, but Glee introduced me to "Marry Me." It's a thoroughly adorable song, and I'm very thankful to Glee for introducing me to it.

"Keep Breathing" by Ingrid Michaelson from Grey's Anatomy
This song appeared in one of the most heartbreaking scenes of Grey's Anatomy: when Cristina breaks down after her failed wedding with Burke. "Keep Breathing" went perfectly with the scene and has since become one of the songs I listen to when I'm feeling down. As cheesy as it is, "Keep Breathing" reminds me to just keep breathing. (Okay, that was really really cheesy).

"I Hear the Bells" by Mike Doughty from Veronica Mars
During the "epic" speech scene this song is featured in, Veronica says "I really like this song." Well, so do I, Veronica. Not only does it complement the scene, but it's also a really great song on its own. In fact, I think it's the song that convinced me to buy the Veronica Mars soundtrack.



There's many more songs I could include in this list, five is a nice, odd number. Now, I want to hear from you. Last time I asked a question, I got a couple of response. So, I'm hoping I'll get at least a few this time. What songs have you discovered by watching television?

No comments:

Post a Comment