Saturday, May 21, 2011

Television-Triggered Commentary

Hey everyone! I survived finals, and as promised, I'm back. I started writing a post about the upcoming pilots that I'm most excited about (which I still might finish). However, a certain Youtube video caught my eye, and I felt like writing a post on it. It features an excited-no, exuberant-(I don't really know what's going on with my punctuation there, but I'm just going to claim artistic license) Smallville fan's commentary on the final few minutes of the show. It's probably the it's-five-in-the-morning-and-I-still-haven't-gone-to-sleep-and-in-fact-might-try-to-stay-up-all-night effect taking its toll, but I didn't just laugh at this clip, I guffawed. I guffawed at a Youtube video at five a.m. while sitting in my bed in a room by myself. And, I just publicly admitted that fact. 




I haven't regularly watched Smallville in years. Okay, scratch that, I guess I never regularly watched it, but I used to watch the earlier episodes from time to time when they aired on ABCFamily. Anyway, I did manage to catch some of the finale because a family member was watching it. Honestly, I was pretty much just cracking up at how lame and cheesy the whole affair was. However, I'll resist the urge to snark too much on the show and this Smallville fan (and honestly, I'd be in a more appropriate place to snark if I'd actually seen enough episodes to know what was going on) because I too have been known on occasion to talk to the television screen. Granted, I've never had a reaction quite like this and sincerely hope to never do so. 

The fact remains, however, that I do lamely talk to the television at times. The most recent example I can think of is during The Vampire Diaries season finale. I'm pretty sure I whispered "what?" to myself in a creepy, low voice for at least thirty seconds after the episode ended. This second example is not exactly talking, but I found myself uncontrollably making some kind of strange squeal a couple of hours ago during a cute scene (I'm currently rethinking the whole not going to bed today scheme because I just spelled that "seen" and had to correct it.) from Letters to Juliet. (Edit: I just realized that that's a movie, and I'm talking about television in this post. The principle still applies, though, so I'll leave it in.) These example are kind of tame, but I know I've done much weirder that I just can't remember.

Honestly, though, is it that strange to talk to the television or get emotional over the fictional events that occur on it? Yes, it probably is. But, most of us  many of us some of us hopefully someone other than me will admit to having strange audible reactions to a television show. You know what? I think it's okay as long as we make sure that they stay far away from Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment