Sunday, November 28, 2010

How I Met Your Mother: "Blitzgiving"

I can't remember if I've really talked that much about How I Met Your Mother on this blog. It's a show I love dearly, but on the whole, it hasn't been itself for seasons five and six. There's been a few good episodes (spoiler alert: Blitzgiving was one of these), but it's definitely gone downhill quite a bit. But, as I just said in my spoiler alert, Blitzgiving has given me some hope for How I Met Your Mother.

Blitzgiving was one of the best episodes of HIMYM that I've seen in a long time. The whole episode just clicked and really fit together. It was genuinely funny and didn't seem as try-hard as many of the recent episodes have. Even Zoey was tolerable in this episode, and I'm far from her biggest fan.

One reason that I Blitzgiving worked so well was that it focused on one of their coined principles, the "Blitz." For those of you who haven't watched the episode yet, the "Blitz" is a person who always leaves right before the night turns awesome. Like many of the HIMYM terms, this one rings true. Almost anyone can relate to being the Blitz for a night and waking up to a bunch of inside jokes that he or she doesn't understand.

I'd be a really bad lost fan if I didn't mention Jorge Garcia's guest appearance. (Side note, I have no idea why I can't turn off the italics.) Even though the "awww man"s started to get on my nerves, I thought the writers did a good job incorporating Jorge, or Hurley as I prefer to call him. His character didn't have a whole lot to do, but he fit into the story well. I definitely enjoyed the Lost references, particularly the one to "the numbers." And maybe this is stretching a bit, but I have to wonder if "The Gentlemen" bit was a reference to Buffy. It would definitely be an obscure reference (side note again: this italics is so annoying, and I wish I could get it to turn off because it's driving me insane.), but I definitely think it's possible. 


Ok, I finally got it back to non-italics. I don't have a lot more to say about Blitzgiving. It was a really solid episode, and it was definitely better than the horrid "Slapsgiving 3" episode that I had envisioned as a worst cast scenario in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment